Body Positive is an independent support group for those living with HIV / AIDS. All members are HIV+.
Body Positive Inc., endorses the use of non proven medications that will help alleviate the pain and suffering of those people living with HIV / AIDS.
The Board further supports the investigation into the beneficial use of marijuana for medical purposes when prescribed or recommended for use under medical supervision. If you would like to visit the Body Positive Website you can use the link provided.
The New Zealand AIDS Foundation has provided us with their public policy position on the use of medicinal cannabis. We reprint only a portion of it below and urge those wishing to know more to read the full document. The New Zealand AIDS Foundation supports:
- The right of people living with HIV to make medicinal use of potentially therapeutic agents where benefits are unproven or where risks to their personal health may exist.
- The right of individuals living with HIV to be aware of the harms and benefits of the medicinal use of cannabis.
- Changes to legislative and regulatory frameworks to allow people living with HIV/AIDS to possess and cultivate small amounts of cannabis for personal medicinal use where 1. the individual has supervision from a doctor who specialises in the treatment of infectious diseases. 2. and where the individual is eighteen or over.
- Changes to legislative and regulatory frameworks to allow for further clinical research into the efficacy of the therapeutic use of cannabis.
- Changes to legislative and regulatory frameworks to allow for the posession, cultivation and research of cannabis as a therapeutic product should be considered along with other conditions, specifically conditions that require chemotherapy and radio therapy.
- The undertaking of further clinical and qualitative research on the efficacy of the therapeutic use of cannabis.
- Active, low key support for medically directed access to cannabis use as well as continuing to support more research on the matter.